新书推介:《语义网技术体系》
作者:瞿裕忠,胡伟,程龚
   >>中国XML论坛<<     W3CHINA.ORG讨论区     计算机科学论坛     SOAChina论坛     Blog     开放翻译计划     新浪微博  

• 首页
  • 登录
  • 注册
  • 软件下载
  • 资料下载
  • 核心成员
  • 帮助
  •   Add to Google

>> 计算机英语求助,计算机英语翻译互助
    [返回] 中文XML论坛 - 专业的XML技术讨论区休息区『 计算机英语 』 → [分享]How to Learn Any Language 29 查看新帖用户列表

发表一个新主题  发表一个新投票  回复主题  (订阅本版) 您是本帖的第 3568 个阅读者浏览上一篇主题  刷新本主题   树形显示贴子 浏览下一篇主题
     * 贴子主题: [分享]How to Learn Any Language 29 举报  打印  推荐  IE收藏夹 
       本主题类别:     
     telenglish 帅哥哟,离线,有人找我吗?

等级:大二期末(Java考了96分!)
      文章:100
      积分:349
      门派:XML.ORG.CN
      注册:2006/4/20

姓名:(无权查看)
    城市:(无权查看)
    院校:(无权查看)
    给telenglish发送一个短消息 把telenglish加入好友 查看telenglish的个人资料 搜索telenglish在『 计算机英语 』的所有贴子 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子 查看telenglish的博客楼主
    发贴心情 [分享]How to Learn Any Language 29

How to Learn Any Language 29

At No Extra Cost
    You may think you have a good idea precisely how your life will improve once you’ve mastered your target language. You’re wrong. It will be much better than you think.
    Unexpected good things happen to you when you learn even a little of the other guy’s language. A chapter detailing some of those things may seem like preaching to the choir, when you consider that anybody likely to be reading this has already decided he wants to learn. So what? Who more than the members of the choir deserve the inspiration?
    All the case histories that follow were culled and corroborated by members of the Language Club who were asked to be alert to all the nice little extras that come your way when you speak another language. Many of them happened to me personally and continue to happen almost daily.
    In New York and some other major cities a huge percentage of the cab drivers are from Haiti. Try this, just to get a taste of the power of another language. If your driver is Haitian, lean forward and say (phonetically), “Sa (rhymes with “ma”) pass (“pasta” without the “ta”) SAY (as in the English “say”), pa-PA (“papa,” but accented on the last syllable). Sort those sounds out and try it. “Sa paSAY paPA?” It means something like the French Comment &ccedil;a va? (“How are you?”), but it’s not French. It’s his native Haitian Creole slang and he may never before have heard that utterance from the lips of a non-Haitian.
    That one line is guaranteed to get you reactions ranging from a long, slow smile to a cheery “Where did you learn that?” to loud and joyous laughter to the exclamation, “You must know Haiti well!”
    Don’t get the idea that Haitians are the only ones susceptible to the charm of hearing a few words of their language. They just may be more demonstrative than most in showing it. Romanian cab drivers have turned off the metre and given me a free ride in return for my “Good morning” in Romanian. A Soviet Georgian cab driver refused to take my money and invited me to Sunday dinner at his home, one of the tastiest treats and most interesting evenings I’ve ever enjoyed. An Indonesian cab driver screamed – that’s all, just screamed – upon hearing “Thank you” in his language.
    I’ve long suspected there’s a memo posted in the kitchen of every Chinese restaurant in America instructing all personnel not to let any American who exhibits any knowledge of Chinese go unrewarded. Try this experience, just to taste the power.
    The Chinese term for “chopsticks” is kwai dze. The first word is pronounced like the Asian river the American war prisoners built the bridge over. The second word sounds like the ds in “suds.”
    The next time you’re in a Chinese restaurant, smile at the waiter and say “Kwai dze.” When he brings the chopsticks, smile again and say, “Shieh, shieh” (“Thank you”). Pronounce that as you should “she expects,” making sure you never get as far as the x and accentuating the “she”. The immediate payoffs on this one can range from a free plum brandy cocktail at the end of the meal clear over to a stubborn refusal to let you pay. The more subtle, and satisfying, payoff is that they will assume you know not only the rest of the Chinese language but the Chinese cuisine as well, and they’ll probably give you no less than the absolute finest the house can produce every time they see you come in.
    Your rewards for knowing even a paltry few words of a language vary in inverse proportion to the likelihood that you’ll know any at all. A German baker isn’t likely to endorse his whole day’s profit on strudel over to your favourite charity merely because you enter his shop with a big “Guten Tag” (“Good day”), but an Albanian baker might if you enter with “Tungjatjeta.” You won’t knock French socks off with a “Comment allez-vous?” (“How are you?”), but you may set winter gloves flying in Helsinki with a correctly pronounced “(Hyv&auml;&auml; P&auml;iv&auml;&auml;)” (“Good morning”).
    Don’t overdo it. I’ve known cab drivers from obscure countries almost drive off the road when they’re surprised with a burst of their native tongue from an American passenger, and once I had a Chinese waitress in a Jewish delicatessen (honest!) get so rattled when I ordered for our party in Chinese that she messed up our order beyond redemption.

[URL=http://www.telenglish.com.cn/yingyupeixunzhenduikehu/index2.htm]英语学习方法[/URL]     [URL=http://www.telenglish.com.cn/yingyupeixunzhenduikehu/index2.htm]广州英语学习方法[/URL]     [URL=http://www.telenglish.com.cn/yingyupeixunhangyeyingyu/index.htm]广州英语学习网[/URL]     [URL=http://www.telenglish.com.cn/yingyupeixunjiaocai/index.htm]广州在线英语[/URL]     [URL=http://www.telenglish.com.cn/yingyupeixunchenggonganli/index.htm]广州英语网[/URL]

收藏   分享  
    顶(0)

点击查看用户来源及管理<br>发贴IP:*.*.*.* 2007/4/26 18:31:00

hjx_221 帅哥哟,离线,有人找我吗?

威望:7
      等级:博士一年级
      文章:4607
      积分:24021
      门派:XML.ORG.CN
      注册:2004/8/30

姓名:(无权查看)
    城市:(无权查看)
    院校:(无权查看)
    给hjx_221发送一个短消息 把hjx_221加入好友 查看hjx_221的个人资料 搜索hjx_221在『 计算机英语 』的所有贴子 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子 查看hjx_221的博客2
    发贴心情 
    The next time you’re in a Chinese restaurant, smile at the waiter and say “Kwai dze.” When he brings the chopsticks, smile again and say, “Shieh, shieh” (“Thank you”).

----------------------------------------------
    初从文,三年不中;后习武,校场发一矢,中鼓吏,逐之出;遂学医,有所成。自撰一良方,服之,卒~ 
    http://hjx221.blogger.org.cn/

点击查看用户来源及管理<br>发贴IP:*.*.*.* 2007/4/28 13:24:00

GoogleAdSense

等级:大一新生
      文章:1
      积分:50
      门派:无门无派
      院校:未填写
      注册:2007-01-01
    给Google AdSense发送一个短消息 把Google AdSense加入好友 查看Google AdSense的个人资料 搜索Google AdSense在『 计算机英语 』的所有贴子 访问Google AdSense的主页 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子 查看Google AdSense的博客广告
    2024/5/11 20:34:29

本主题贴数2,分页: [1]

管理选项修改tag | 锁定 | 解锁 | 提升 | 删除 | 移动 | 固顶 | 总固顶 | 奖励 | 惩罚 | 发布公告
    W3C Contributing Supporter! W 3 C h i n a ( since 2003 ) 旗 下 站 点
    苏ICP备05006046号《全国人大常委会关于维护互联网安全的决定》《计算机信息网络国际联网安全保护管理办法》
    46.875ms